Ilya Rabinovich (1965) was born in Chisinau, Moldavia in the former USSR and immigrated in 1973 to Israel. From 1998 to 2000 he was a participant in the post-academic program of the Rijksakademie in Amsterdam (NL), and since then lives and works in the Dutch capital.
The static yet enigmatic photographs of Rabinovich deal with issues of identity against the background of social structures. His works depict places that look as if they are bereft of memory; as temporary, elusive and detached. In this specific atmosphere they evoke two models of exclusion and desolation; the world of the émigré represented as an exile, as ’inside’ and ’outside’ experience*. On the one hand there is a difficulty to find a relation to his childhood lifestyle and environment, on the other hand there seems to be an attraction to those estranged places.
The focus of Rabinovich's practice lies on places that are subjected to radical changes. In 2005 he photographed the interiors of Hotel Rossiya (Moscow) shortly before its demolition. In this project he finds a connection with his background culture by investigating how power and authority were/are presented in the former USSR, and nowadays Russia. For the Muziotopia show in Moldavia (2008) Rabinovich travelled back to his birthplace Chisinau to photograph the existing museums as well as the museum sites that have been 'censored' since the independence of Moldavia (1991). One of the themes of this project is again - the disappearance of the Soviet, communist heritage from the public sphere.
Since 2007 a more active situation is created in Rabinovich’s work, in which the public is more involved and engaged. He achieves this by bringing in spatial and referential dimensions. In 'Rear Window' visitors are handed pocket lights to help find his works in a darkened room (Van Abbemuseum NL, 2008). For the Muziotopia show in Moldavia (2008) Rabinovich travelled back to his birthplace Kisheniev to photograph the existing museums as well as the museum sites that have been ‘censored’ since the independence of Moldavia (1991).
Typological photography and documentation of Art as a second profession.
- 2010 Rear window installation, MB Agency Amsterdam.
- 2008 Parking lots project Berlin and Places 1993-2006,Hex galleries, Belgium.
- 2007 Places 1993-2006, Apt Gallery , Novo Mesto Slovenia.
- 2007 On Transition, Amsterdam Medical Center ,Prof. Brummelkamp Gallery Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 2005 Lelijk is het niet, video installation, agentur,Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 2003 Passing through 1994-2002,Akinci Gallery, Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 2003 Parking places Berlin 2001,Herzliya Museum, Herzliya,Israel.
- 2002 Parking places Berlin 2001, ESSL Museum Vienna Austria.
- 2000 Crown Gallery, Brussels Belgium.
- 1999 Works Coordinated in Advance and other projects Fotogalerie, Kulturamt Mannheim Germany.
- 1996 Works Coordinated in Advance ,PEKING gallery, Berlin Germany.
- 1995 Works Coordinated in Advance - Hotels series Studio in Boruchov gallery, Tel-Aviv Israel.
- 2010 Works coordinated in advance- Ben Gurion house Tel Aviv, David Ben Gurion and his heritage mirrored in the Israeli Art, Ben Gurion University ,Beer Sheva, Israel.
- 2010 The Painting Lesson, Drifting Identity Station, Centre International d'Accueil et d'Echanges des Recollets, Paris, France.
- 2009 Muziotopia, Made in Arnhem, museum voor moderne kunst Arnhem,The Netherlands.
- 2009 Muziotopia, Biennale in Kleinzetelvitz,Germany.
- 2009...Expectations, MB Art Agency Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 2008 Never looked better Contemporary Artists Respond to the Leni and Harbert Sonnenfeld Photo Collection, The Diaspora House Museum Tel-Aviv Israel.
- 2008 Muziotopia,RO-MD/Moldova in Two Scenarios Project Chisinau, Museum of Romanian Literature M.Kogalniceanu Chisinau, part of Art as a gift -the Periphery Biennial Iasi
- 2008 Memories about childhood project and Muziotopia project part of Experiencing Atopia ,FotoBreda The Netherlands.
- 2008 Rear window installation, Be(com)ing Dutch Van Abbe Museum Eindhoven The Netherlands.
- 2008 Eventually We’ll Die Young Art in Israel of the Nineties- Retrospective exhibition of young Israeli art from the 90’s ,Herzliya Museum Israel.
- 2007 Places 1992-2006, Foto Festiwal, Lodz Poland.
- 2007 Recent purchases, Dutch Central Bank, Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 2006 Much Ado About Nothing, Akinci Gallery,Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 2006 Motherland II , Photo festival, Aleppo, Syria.
- 2006 Different spaces a work presented in a form of a book,No places exhibition,66 East Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 2005 Dreams about America Dutch architect and Frank Lloyd Wright, Architecture Museum, Hilversum The Netherlands.
- 2004a traveler, Akinci Gallery, Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 2003 Regionalist, Vriza foundation, Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 2002 Raid Projects, Los Angels, California USA.
- 2002 Say hello, wave goodbye, Hohnloe and Kalb Gallery, Vienna Austria.
- 2002 Underworld, Omreau Baths Gallery, Belfast Ireland.
- 2002 Regionalisten -Deep down the region, Paraplufabriek, Nijmegen The Netherlands.
- 2001 For Compensation, Fike deBoorelaan, Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 2001 Einstein on the Beach Opera, Staatsbank Franzoizhe str., Berlin Gemany.
- 2001 Urban Myth’s,The Israeli Centre for Digital Art, Holon Israel.
- 2000 Scratching memory, Smart Project Space Amsterdam The Netherlands.(co curated with Luan Nel)
- 1999 Open studio Rjksakademie Van Beeldende Kunsten, Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 1999 Not to be looked at Art Focus- Biennial, Israeli Museum, Jerusalem Israel.
- 1999 Future Archaeologies, Pistoletto Foundation, Biella Italy.
- 1999 Trouble Spot. Painting, Museum Contemporary Art Antwerp Belgium.
- 1999 Wir Sind Alle nur allein, Smart Project Space Gallery, Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 1998 Open studio days Rjksakademie Van Beeldende Kunsten, Amsterdam The Netherlands.
- 1998 Bamot Israeli Contemporary Art , Jewish Museum Vienna Austria.
- 1997 Urban Touch, Camera Obscura gallery, Tel-Aviv Israel.
- 1997 Double Exposure The Anglo- Israeli Photographic Awards Darkroom gallery,Cambridge England.
- 1996Navigation Maps, Camera Obscure gallery, Tel-Aviv Israel.
- 1995 Works Coordinated in Advance - The Mental Hospitals and schools project, Young Artist’s Prize, Artist’s House Tel-Aviv Israel.
- 1994 Works Coordinated in Advance - The Mental Hospitals and schools project,Graduates exhibition Bezalel, Jerusalem Israel.
- 2009 Catalog Never looked better Contemporary Artists Respond to the Leni and Harbert Sonnenfeld Photo Collection, The Diaspora House Museum Tel-Aviv Israel.
- 2009 Catalog RO/MD Two Scenarios published by KSA:K Chisinau
- 2008 FotoBreda08 Catalog .
- 2008 The experience of Atopia Catalog .
- 2002 Catalogue Regionalisten exhibition, published Artists initiative Paraplufabriek Curated by Siebren De Haan.
- 2002 Parking places, Berlin 2001 text by Simon Wachsmut and Frzantiska Lesak, Catalogue for the exhibition in the ESSL Collection Vienna.
- 1999 Catalogue , Fotogalerie in der Alte Feuerwache, text by Thomas Schrimbock, Manheim Germany.
- Contributing to the The other house of Anna Frank book a photographic essay Apartments project Amsterdam 2005. Toth publishers.
- 2002 FREE EYE, Dutch quarterly for exceptional photography, Nr 01/2002,Pages 24- 31.
- 2001 Cover and Portfolio of the for Studio Israeli Art Magazine March-April.
- 2009 Metropolis M written by Jolien Verlaek Made in Arnhrm-Iedereen doet mee, The Netherlands October.
- 2009 Simulacrum Tijdschrift voor kunst en cultuur Privé; for your eyes only Article ‘A glimpse beyond the interstice separating the public and private domain ‘ written by Donna Wolf, The Netherlands October.
- 2008 NRC Handelsblad- review about the Rear window installation written by Lucette ter Borg 31 May 2008.
- 2007 Ilya Rabinovich/Russians Everywhere, written by Irina Tchmyreva ZOOM Magazine Moscow September.
- 2007 Catalogue for the exhibition Places 1993-2006 with text written by Marainne Brouwer, printed by APT gallery Novo Mesto Slovenia.
- 2006 NRC Handelsblad- review about the exhibition ‘Much Ado About Nothing’ written by Machteld Leij 08-12-2006.
- 2010Interview with Tatiana Fiodorova at ART PLOSHDKA weblog:http://artploshadka.wordpress.com/2010/02/09/art-ploshadka-интервью-с-фотографом-ильей-рабино/
Museum and Public Collections
- APT Dubai collection 2010.
- APT Dubai collection 2009.
- MB Art Agency, Amsterdam 2009.
- Akinci gallery, Amsterdam 2009.
- APT Dubai collection 2008.
- Rear Window installation, Van Abbe Museum Eindhoven 2008.
- Amsterdam Medical Center 2007.
- Akinci gallery, Amsterdam 2006
- Dutch Central Bank ,Amsterdam 2006.
- Hilversum Architectural Museum 2005.
- AbroNed, Utrecht 2005 and 2007.
- Herzliya Museum Israel 2003.
- Essl collction Vienna 2002.
- CROWN gallery, Brussels 2002.
- Paul Van esch- Bur Art Smart Amsterdam 2002
- CROWN gallery, Brussels 2001.
- KLM collection, Amstelveen 1999.
- Rjksakademie Van Beeldende Kunsten
- Bezalel Academy of Design and Art
Groups you share with this member